Monday, March 19, 2007

Hospital Blues

It was August 9, 2005, and I was shopping in the monster of all department stores, Wal-Mart. Now I don't know about some of you, but I find shopping with my mother in Wal-Mart to be a chore - almost comparable to scrubbing a filthy toilet. And of course without fail, this day like any other, my mother wandered away leaving me standing silent in an isle full of bargain hunting idiots.
I immediately felt sweaty and overwhelmed. My head was ringing like an overused bell. I had to get out of there. I was not sure if the atmosphere of the large yet trashy department store was to blame for my out of body experience - or was it possible that the "aliens" were back?
My fit of frenzy launched me on a store wide excursion for my mom. There she was pushing her cart nonchalantly, as I was suffering. I grabbed her attention and let her know it was time to leave. I thought once I was out of the craziness of Wal-Mart I would feel better.
Not the case.
My body sat in the driver seat, turned the key, hands on steering wheel and foot planted down on the pedal began to drive the car away. It was weird. I was aware of my surroundings but could not control my body. It was like I was having a double sided stroke. My mouth could utter no words, my body could muster no energy, all I could do is cry.
After about a quarter of a mile of turtle crawling in the car my mom made me pull over so she could resume the driving duty. (Now I knew it was bad cause my mom doesn't drive because of her own illness.)
She got me to her house and made me stay on the couch. I was able to studder out a few words. I just wanted to go home. She wasn't having it. I swore I was fine - then I fell off the couch!
Before long I was crying in hysterics because the 911 crew was inside my mom's house strapping me to a board. My headaches came to a head, popped like a pimple and landed me in the hospital.
That was the beginning of my battle.

No comments: