Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New doctor New diagnosis

I alerted my family doctor of the results the first neurologist delivered to me. He was pissed to say the least. He did some research and found a different doctor for me to try.That's when I met Dr.Rampal, my saving grace.
Dr.Rampal, a petite yet outspoken Indian man, welcomed me into his office and listened to my health woes. I recited the story to him of what has been happening and he scratched his head and said I think I know what is wrong. He charged toward my face with a tiny flashlight and told me to look straight but direct my eyes toward the corner. He shined the light into the crease of my eyes and made a noise of agreement to himself.
"I believe you have Pseudotumor Cerebri," he said.
I thought what in the hell is that. That doesn't even sound real. Is he playing a cruel joke? He explained to me that this was a term that meant "false brain tumor" that causes a build up of pressure within your cranium which causes headaches, dizziness, vomitting, and even vision loss. But he had yet to tell me the kicker. The only way to properly diagnose PTC is to perform a spinal tap a patient. I have heard of that before and I was instantly scared. The thought of a needle the length of my leg piercing into my back left me a little uneasy.
Dr.Rampal strongly advised me to have the procedure. He informed me it was the only way to be absolute about what was going on in my head and the revealed information would assist him in my treatment. I uttered the words "I'll do it," but trust me I was reluctant. Atleast I knew in 2 weeks I would have some sort of answer and I could possibly be on the road to recovery.

No comments: